COVID-19 SITUATION UPDATE
Gunnison County COVID-19 positive tests have increased in the past two weeks. During the past two weeks, there has been a three-fold increase in the number of weekly cases compared to the average previous summer weekly case numbers. The cases are among County year-round residents, visitors and part-time residents. The Delta variant is spreading in Gunnison County, the western Slope, Colorado and nationally. The Delta variant is now the predominant variant in Colorado. The Delta variant is more contagious than previous variants and spreads more readily from person to person. The exposure risks for the recent local cases are varied including unvaccinated individuals, recent travel, recent attendance at a large gathering, household or close contact and other risk factors. Some individuals have been admitted to Gunnison Valley Health and other hospitals due to their illness and are being treated.
80-85% of COVID-19 cases in Gunnison County, across Colorado and the United States are among individuals that are not fully vaccinated. The cases in fully-vaccinated individuals are typically milder with less severe symptoms with <10% requiring hospitalizations. No recent deaths have occurred in Gunnison County.
Community members in Gunnison county have been successful in the COVID-19 response on many levels. Vaccination levels across Gunnison county are ~70% and many individuals have taken important steps to protect themselves and their families. It’s important for all county residents to continue to take actions to protect individuals and the larger community including:
- Get vaccinated if you are eligible (ages 12 years and older), be sure to complete the entire vaccination series.
- Assure best ventilation for all interactions including, outdoor spaces, outdoor air circulation and air filtration as needed.
- Wash your hands frequently and avoid contact with your face, especially eyes and mouth.
- Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms, isolate if you experience symptoms. Stay home if you are sick and away from others as much as possible.
- Get tested if you have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Wear a mask if unvaccinated in all indoor settings, especially where distancing is not possible. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) recommends all persons (regardless of vaccination status) wear a mask in indoor settings.
Please visit: https://covid19.gunnisoncounty.org for information on where to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination or testing.